Friday, August 19, 2016

Blessed Be My Rock – Psalm 18:46



“The LORD lives! Blessed be my Rock!  Let the God of my salvation be exalted.”

At a church we attended in San Diego, our music leader seemed to work in the song with this verse at least once a month.  I love it.  It is a song of praise as a result of victory in a surprise battle.  Even as I think of it now, it makes me want to stand up and sing.  It is a boisterous song.  The music director had the congregation answer the choir in song, there was a lot of clapping and it was fun.  I have been singing it in the field since I read this verse this morning.  Here is a link to a version fairly close to what we used to sing: enjoy!

It is so amazing that God has arranged for us to call him ours.  David makes a habit of it in this psalm.  “My strength, my rock, my fortress, my deliverer, my God, my shield, the horn of my salvation, my stronghold, my support!”  In His unconditional love, God has made Himself all these things to us, and much more!  He is our Provider, our Protector, our Healer, our Redeemer, our Counselor and our Righteous Ruler, our Prince and our King.

What a Mighty God we serve, and yet He interacts with us on an individual level.  “He bowed the heavens also, and came down…” (Psalm 18:9).  I am so thankful for such a wonderful Heavenly Father.  Does it not make you want to sing praises to Him?  “Therefore I will give thanks to You, O LORD, among the Gentiles, and sing praises to Your name.” (Psalm 18:49)

When we call upon God for a situation, we cannot help but describe Him for His deliverance in that situation.  “For there is that in God which is suited to all the exigencies and occasions of his people that trust in him.  He is my rock, and strength, and fortress.” (Matthew Henry)

What names do you ascribe to our God and our Creator?

May you grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, my Blessed Rock and the God of my salvation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment