Friday, September 25, 2015

Help My Unbelief – Mark 9:23-24



“Jesus said to him, ‘If you can believe, all things are possible to him who believes.’  Immediately the father of the child cried out and said with tears ‘Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!’”

There had been quite a dispute between the disciples and the scribes about this person who was tormented from childhood by a spirit.  No one yet had been able to heal him.  Jesus said within earshot of the disciples, the scribes and the father that they were a ‘faithless generation.’  When the son is brought before Jesus, he asks the father a few questions.  The desperate father explained to Jesus that the spirit often threw his son both into the fire and into the water to destroy him.  Make no mistake, Satan will harm us as much and as often as he can – thank God that Satan cannot harm us as much and as often as he would.  In this case Satan had accomplished the torment of two individuals, the son possessed by the mute spirit, and the tender hearted father who is just as afflicted to see his son in such torment.  The father states that if Jesus can do anything, have compassion on them and help them.  

That “if” the father placed before Jesus is now placed before the father.  If you can believe.  So Jesus turns the question around.  But with that question Jesus provides encouragement, showing the limitless possibilities for those who believe.  All things are possible.

The father’s response, his cry, was at once and tearful.  He confessed a belief in the person of Jesus Christ, in His works.  He called Jesus ‘Lord’ in a public setting that included the scribes.  “I am not saved because I believe the Scriptures, or because I believe the doctrines of grace, but I am saved if I believe Christ; or, in other words, trust in him. Jesus is my creed. He is the truth. In the highest sense the Lord Jesus is the Word of God. To know him is life eternal. By his knowledge he justifies many.” (Charles Spurgeon)

Yet with the father’s confession of his belief, he also confessed the sin of unbelief.  Scripture says unbelief is the pathway to a hardened heart, an evil heart.  “Beware, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief in departing from the living God.”  (Hebrews 3:12)  “While men have no faith, they are unconscious of their unbelief; but, as soon as they get a little faith, then they begin to be conscious of the greatness of their unbelief.  …having made a confession of his unbelief as you observe, the father, in the narrative, prayed against it, and an earnest prayer it was. It was, "Help thou mine unbelief." It is very noticeable that he does not say, "Lord, I believe; help thou my child." No, nor does he say, "Lord, I believe; now cast the devil out of my boy:" not at all; he perceives that his own unbelief was harder to overcome than the devil, and that to heal him of his spiritual disease was a more needful work, than even to heal his child of the sad malady under which he labored. This is the point to arrive at, to feel that there is no deficiency in the merit of Christ; no lack of power in his precious blood; no unwillingness in Christ's heart to save me; but all the hindrance lies in my unbelief.  Go, any of you who are in trouble about this matter, go where you gained your first faith, go there to get more. If you first obtained your faith at the cross foot, go there again to end your unbelief.”  (Charles Spurgeon)

We might assume that this father’s traces of unbelief arose from the repeated failures of anyone to heal his son.  It may have been spurred by the scribes’ lack of comforting words.  Maybe something similar has happened to you.  A church leader has disappointed you, or maybe another church member.  Maybe things have failed in your life and their effect was to insert a fracture in your belief.  Friends, the only solution for any unbelief is found in Jesus.  Look deep into the One who cannot lie.  Turn not to yourself or to your friends.  Turn to Jesus, the One who never fails.  Your past defeats have no impact on His faithfulness.  His power is still invincible.  Confess the belief you have and pray to God to help your residual unbelief.  “Behold, the LORD’s hand is not shortened, that it cannot save; nor His ear heavy, that it cannot hear.”  (Isaiah 59:1)

I have said that prayer of this father many times since I comprehended this passage of scripture.  I do believe.  I believe I am a child of God.  I believe that I have eternal life through the saving grace of Jesus Christ.  Sometimes, though, fear enters me while I am in service to God.  I wonder, will they still be my friend if I tell them His truth?  Through the Holy Spirit, Jesus prompts us what to do, and we must do it and trust Him with the consequences.  Besides, what kind of friend am I if I do not tell them the truth?  It is not OK to have unbelief.  But it is OK to ask God to help you with that unbelief, and then press on in faith.

May you grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. 

No comments:

Post a Comment