Friday, August 21, 2015

Departure and Death – 2 Timothy 4:6-7



“For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure is at hand.  I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith."

To our knowledge, this is the last letter by the Apostle Paul.  He knew it was the end for him.  Oh that all people who call themselves Christians would live a life that is summarized with these same final words.  Not only that, but to face death with such a lack of fear. 

“With what pleasure he speaks of dying.  He calls it his departure; though it is probable that he saw he must die a violent bloody death, yet he calls it his departure, or his release.  Death to a good man is his release from the imprisonment of this world and his departure to the enjoyments of another world; he does not cease to be, but is only removed from one world to another.”  (Matthew Henry)

Make no mistake, being ‘good’ by the world’s definition does not give this kind of confidence on the death bed.  No, only faith in Jesus Christ brings such reassurance.  As Paul said at the beginning of this, his final letter:

“For this reason I also suffer these things; nevertheless I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that He is able to keep what I have committed to Him until that Day.”    (2 Timothy 1:12)

In Paul’s thank you letter to the Philippians, he also states that, though he is in chains, he is not ashamed, and wants Christ to be magnified in his body, whether by life or by death.  And that 

“For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain.”
(Philippians 1:21)

No matter how grand, if you have surrendered to Christ, this life is not as grand as the one to come.

May you grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment